All three tuns along with their shoes, horses and hoppers have now been cleaned and preserved. They will be covered in plastic as we continue work on repairing the floors and wall plates.
One of 6 mills on the river Flit, the mill was originally built by the Monks of Dunstable Priory. Records show a mill on this site since the 1085 Domesday.
The crown wheel is a horizontally mounted wheel on the first floor, the 'stone floor'. It is connected via an upright shaft from the great spur wheel on the ground floor. The crown wheel drives a shaft on the first floor from which a number of belts were used to drive machines such as the bolder, corn cake crusher, oat-roller and extractor fan.