The trial of the buckets continues. It was important because we discovered that the bolt spacing is different from one side to the other. This necessitated separate drawings.
Here we are trialling prototype buckets on the water wheel they fit one above the other.
About a third of the buckets have been removed. We freed a log trapped down the side which has made the wheel a little easier to turn but there's plenty more debris to remove before it will rotate without a great deal of force.
The scaffoling has been put up alongside the waterwheel ready for renovation to start.
We've closed the mill gates to stop the flow of water over the waterwheel. Now that the wheel has dried out, we can remove the rusting buckets and start to renovate the wheel, ready for new buckets to be installed. Once the buckets have been removed, we'll be able to inspect the wall behind and remove whatever had stopped the wheel from turning. When the frame has been renovated, we'll install new buckets and then look at renovating the mill gates and mill tray.